Facebook is tricky business after a breakup. Even though you decided to breakup, you are still somewhat connected through Facebook. Even if you somehow control yourself and not call them or text them, you can still see what they are doing in life. And you always have that urge to message them or the expectation of them messaging you.
In this article, I will lay out the advantages and disadvantages of unfriending your ex from Facebook.
The Advantages of Unfriending Your Ex
1. The first and the major advantage of unfriending your ex will be your peace of mind. You can finally start concentrating on your life without obsessing over your ex. Every time your ex updates their status or post a pic of them having fun with their friends or with their new boyfriend or girlfriend, you won’t spend hours thinking about them. You know why, because you won’t see it. Being oblivious to your ex’s activity is a blessing in disguise.
2. Your ex will not be able to manipulate you. Chances are, your ex is not as happy as they make you think on their facebook. They put pictures and statuses on their facebook of having the most interesting life and most joyous status update. While in reality, they might be actually be eating ice cream on their couch while wearing the same pajamas for the past three days.
3. Another advantage of removing your ex from your life will give you a sense of power over your life. It will also send out the message that you are not holding on to every last thread that connects you from your ex and you are ready to move on. Whether you want to get back together or move on, this message is gong to work in your advantage.
4. If you happen to feel low, and you share something depressing on your facebook, which clearly indicates you are not over your ex, your ex will not see it. You can freely share your feelings and your thoughts with your friend if you choose to. Although, it is highly recommended that you do it over the phone instead of your facebook wall.
5. You can freely flirt with other people without worrying what your ex will think about it. Flirting can be a healthy thing after a breakup. It makes you realize that your ex is not the only person for you and you are still attractive to a lot of other people.
6. You will also be more motivated to stop wasting your time on Facebook and do things that make you feel better about yourself.
The Disadvantages of Unfriending Your Ex
1. You will not be able to let your ex know how much you have changed and how much happier you’ve become since the breakup. Of course, if you want to move on, this is not really a concern. But if you want to get your ex back, Facebook can be used as a tool to let your ex know how much attractive and confident you’ve become since the breakup. But beware, if you are obsessing over your ex, then the benefits of unfriending your ex far outweigh this point.
2. Your ex might take offense. It’s not really a disadvantage. If your ex boyfriend or girlfriend thinks it’s rude that you unfriend them, then they have a lot of growing up to do. If in the future, you decide to send them a friend request, you can explain them that you had to unfriend them for your mental peace. If they are mature enough, they’ll understand. If not, you are better off without them.
3. You will have nowhere to go to when you are obsessing over your ex. Usually, you can go to their Facebook and see what they are doing. But when you unfriend them, you will have to learn to deal with your obsession and your emotions. Come to think about it, this is more of an advantage than a disadvantage.
There you go folks; that’s the whole deal with unfriending and your ex. Now as it is quite clear, there are a lot more advantages to this than disadvantages. So if you ask me, you should unfriend your ex-boyfriend or girlfriend from Facebook no matter if you want to move on or get back together. The only exception will be if for the people who are not obsessing over their ex’s Facebook.